After much contemplation, I’ve decided to publish my top secret smoothie recipe. Take it 30 minutes before a workout or afterward as a recovery drink. Or, just take it for your health. Guaranteed to increase performance 17%. And best of all, it’s completely non-dairy (vegan).
And here it is:
- 1 organic banana
- 5-7 organic frozen strawberries
- 1-2 heaping tablespoons ground flax seed – One of the healthiest things you can add to your diet and a great source of Omega-3 fatty acids. Also gives the smoothie a great texture (I use Barlean’s FortiFlax)
- 1 tablespoon organic extra virgin coconut oil – The healthiest of oils, supports your thyroid and gives you energy (Again, I use Barlean’s)
- 1 heaping tablespoon hemp protein powder – Yes, hemp – for your health. It’s one of the most complete sources of protein around and it’s plant-based (not milk or soy based) which I think is healthier. (I use Manitoba Harvest)
- 1 teaspoon maca powder – Maca is a root grown in the highlands of Peru. It boosts energy and even increases libido. You will notice the effect after a few doses. (I use Macasure)
- Almond milk (preferrably with no added sugar) – as needed to achieve a drinkable consistency
Put it all in a blender and 10 seconds later you’re done. I found that regular blenders are a pain to clean up, so I bought a Back to Basics Blender Express, which is great because it is small and the container doubles as a mug to drink from.
Make sure you don’t skimp on ingredients – buy the good stuff. Some of the ingredients are pretty expensive, but they last a long time. I usually make about 3 or 4 smoothies a week. You can buy most of this stuff online but if you can’t find something, let me know.
Now I’ll warn you – the taste takes a little getting used to. This isn’t a sugary “dessert” smoothie like you get at Smoothie King. The maca and hemp protein give it a nutty flavor. But once you’ve had a few you’ll look forward to drinking it.
UPDATE: Check out my new Superfood Smoothie recipe. It’s even healthier and better tasting.